I decided to extend and empower my wifi network. To my existing network, I attached a new Asmax N300RS router as an access point. Router’s configuration went quite smoothly.
Unfortunately, there was a problem „Failed to Obtain IP Address” while connecting mobile device with Android 8.0 to the wifi router.
Initially, I thought there was a problem with the router. But it turned out that the problem lied elsewhere. I was able to connect with the wifi router from PC with Windows 10 and other mobile devices with Android 5 and 6.
There are a bunch of reasons which may cause that problem.
I tried a few times to forget network option but unfortunately, it didn’t help me to solve the problem (press and hold for a second network icon and choose “Forget network” option).
Here are ways to deal with this problem that worked for me:
- Turn on “Airplane mode” for several seconds and then turn it off
- Reboot your mobile device and router
- Assign a static IP address to your mobile device.
In order to do that:
- In Setting choose Wifi
- Press for a second on network’s icon you want to connect
- Check “Show advanced options”
- Change the IP settings from DHCP to Static
- Enter IP address (np. 192.168.1.121)
- Choose „Save” and check if your Android’s device manages to connect to the Wifi network.